The little particulars
A bio of sorts
- Although I go by Peter Greenwell on the internet (mostly), my legal name is Peter Booth, and although I've been inclined to deed poll it, I don't consider it important enough to pursue.
- In age, I'm somewhere between Daniel Craig and Viggo Mortensen. I'm Australian, though I'm probably bits and pieces of everything European.
- Married with two adult daughters.
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours), Bachelor of Environmental Science.
- My arts major was in Gothic and New Romantic literature.
- My EnvSc major was in environmental resource management.
- What this means is that I could give you advice on the anti-Catholic origins of the Gothic while out doing fauna surveys in a rainforest.
- I live in the Northern Rivers region of New South Wales, Australia.
- I don't "do" social media in the main. I have a Twitter account, but use it rarely. The buttons at the footer of this and every other page here illustrate what I do participate in.
- I do blog, though it is often painful, as I'm opposed at some primal level to journals and diaries.
- I'm a teetotaler, non-smoker and non drug-user. I do like my food and coffee though. Especially coffee.
- I listen to music that largely reflects my age bracket. 70s/80s post-punk, Gothic music in its various forms, paisley underground, metal, psych rock and prog rock. Dark, weird stuff. I'm one of these dinosaurs that despises most modern music.
- I read mostly science fiction and fantasy, though I'll devour anything that's well-written.
- If it wasn't for some video games not working (or not working well) in Linux, I'd use it in preference to any other operating system. I have Windows 10 (you know, that world-famous datamining spyware?) on my gaming computer, but Linux on my laptop and K6 computer.
- I like the appeal of free software, and the appeal of hand-crafting my computer to what I want it to be, and not Apple and Microsoft's idea of what my computer should be.
- Right now, the Linux I run is Arch Linux, coupled with the i3-gaps window manager. I have no opinion of what the best distro is, but I like Arch for the fact that it merely installs a bare-boned OS and you can tailor it to your needs. No bloat, no unneeded applications. What's there is what you put there.
- I'm learning to use terminal based applications such as ranger and vim (I'm writing this on neovim), and listen to my music in mpd/ncmpdpp. I do keep GUI-based editors and file managers around for when things get insurmountable.
- I use Firefox without a bookmark file. I find that bookmarks stifle my browsing range as I rarely go beyond what I have marked. Yes, strange, but that's how it goes.
- I maintain two other domains. Here and here.
- I use W3.CSS for website templating. I like it.
- I write "a lot" as "a lot". They're two words, damn it. Same with "as well". Alternate (noun) is NOT a synonym of alternative in my book. Fighting a losing battle, I am, but oh well.
- Writing "your" or "you're" as "ur" is the epitome of typing laziness. Plus, it looks stupid. Ur, hurr, durr, you know?
- U 2 is how Prince partially titled some of his songs, not how one should write "you too".
- Lastly, I write, and write prodigiously. That's write in the creative sense, not the blogging sense. I've only had a poem professionally published to date. I'm nice enough to put a lot of writing here for you to read. I promise there's no "aswell" "dissapointed" or "alot" anywhere in my writing.
©1996-2019 Peter Greenwell ☯
Text and images